August 25-27, 2023
Positive Covid case at Sugar Hill 2023
We are very grateful for your vigilance in staying home if you were sick and for testing for Covid on both Friday and Saturday. We had one participant who tested positive on Saturday afternoon who then left immediately. The person had arrived on Friday and tested negative then.
Please monitor yourself for symptoms and let us know if you develop Covid in the next ten days. We will keep you informed of any updates. If you registered multiple people for Sugar Hill, please share this information with them as well.
2023 Sugar Hill Information
Friday evening to Sunday noon. Just outside of Bloomington, Indiana, on beautiful Lake Monroe at the lovely Ransburg Boy Scout Camp, 7599 Waldrip Creek Rd, Bloomington, IN 47401.
- Once again, we’ve reserved the perfect natural space for dancing, live music, and being a part of the community of musicians and dancers.
- Camp, choose a bunk in rustic cabins, or reserve your spot in modern air-conditioned cabins.
- Enjoy workshops, jamming, singing, canoeing, beach activities, and more!
- Reconnect with old-time friends, meet new friends and dance, dance, dance!
- Great meals and snacks all weekend!
- Everyone helps – it adds to the fun and reduces the cost!
- Check the website and Facebook for updates and registration information.
UPDATED COVID POLICY
- Everyone will be required to complete a rapid Covid test within 12 hours before arrival and again on Saturday for Friday arrivals and show a negative result, as part of registration before being allowed to complete your registration or take part in activities. You must provide your own Covid tests. Please have a plan in mind if you are arriving with others so that if one or more in your arrival group tests positive, there is a transportation plan in place to get them home again.
Masks and vaccination are encouraged, but not required.
- Refunds: if you need to cancel because you are sick or have been exposed, or if you arrive at the camp and test positive and need to leave again, we will refund your entire registration fee (including cabin fees). Thank you so much for helping to keep us all safe! If you would like to waive all or part of your refund as a donation to us and to help us cover others’ refunds, we will happily accept – just let us know.
LIMITED BUNK SPACE AVAILABLE at extra cost! Modern and rustic cabins. Don’t forget that there’s also unlimited camping space at no extra cost!
PURCHASE A T-SHIRT or TANK TOP — The pre-order deadline is August 2, but there will be a very limited number of shirts available at Sugar Hill for $20 (tanks $25) for those who have not pre-ordered.
- Register by August 18 – $55 ($15 under age 14)
- After August 18 – $80 ($40 under age 14)
- A la carte register by August 18 (SEE BELOW FOR SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS) – Friday only $20 ($5 under age 14), Saturday only $40 ($10 under age 14)
- A la carte walk-in rate – Friday only $35, Saturday only $55
- Cancellation before August 18 will be refunded in full. After August 18, there will be $10 withheld. If you are ill or may have been exposed to covid, you may receive a full refund.
Bring your entire family – but not your pets.
5:00 -11 pm Check-in, Walk-in Registration, wristbands, negative COVID
6:00 – 7:30 pm Potluck
8:00 pm – ?? Contra Dance
8:00 – 10:00 am Breakfast
10:00 – 11:30 am Intermediate Waltz Technique, Randy Hammond
11:30 – 2:00 pm Lunch
2:00 – 3:30 pm Workshop: Waltz-Basic Skills and Enhancements, Bob Green
3:30 – 5:00 pm Workshop: Bhagra Dance, Georges Augustin
6:00 – 7:30 pm Dinner
8:00 pm – ?? Contra Dance
INLOW CENTER A/C
9:30 am – 11:00 am Workshop: Playing in a Contra Band, Tom Cunningham
11:00 am-12:30 pm Workshop: Callers Collective
1:00 – 3:00 pm Workshop: Advanced Contra Dancing, Michael Fuerst
3:30 – 5:00 pm Workshop: Bal Folk, Folk Dance of Europe, Meg Dedolph
9:30-11:00 am Workshop: Dance Etiquette Roundtable Discussion, Rapp cabin
10:00 am – 5:30 pm Beach open with lifeguards, canoes, and pontoon boat
10:30 am – 12:00 pm Workshop: Group Singing, Rise Up Singing books, Pine Grove
2:30 – 3:15 pm Ice Cream Party at the beach
3:00 – 5:00 pm Covid re-test check for all Friday attendees, Registration area
5:30 pm Lottery for Bands and Callers at Registration area, David Ernst
Please sign up by 5!
8 am – 11 am Breakfast/Brunch
9 am – 10 am Open Waltz (open band)
Noon Camp closes
SATURDAY WORKSHOP Schedule
|9:30-11 a.m.||Inlow||Playing in a Contra Band||Tom Cunningham|
|Modern Cabin “Rapp”||Dance Etiquette Roundtable Discussion||Mercury Malcolm|
|10-11:30 a.m.||Dining Hall||Intermediate Waltz Technique and the Reverse Turn||Randy Hammond (music by Diane Jung, Michael Lindeau, and Rob Fischman)|
|10:30a – 12p||Pine Grove||Group Singing with Rise Up Singing books||Hilary Warner-Evans|
|11a – 12:30p||Inlow||Callers’ Collective||Bloomington Callers’ Collective|
|1-3 p.m.||Inlow||Fun, Challenging and Distinctive Contras||Michael Fuerst (music by Peter Martin, Jonathan Whitall, Meg Dedolph, and Roger Diggle)|
|2-3:30 p.m.||Dining Hall||Waltz – Basic Skills and Enhancements for a Fluid 19th-Century Turning Waltz||Bob Green (music by Martha Edwards and friends)|
|3:30-5 p.m.||Dining Hall||Bhangra Dance||Georges Augustin|
|Inlow||Bal Folk: Social Folk Dances of Europe||Meg Dedolph (music by Cosmic Otters – Eric Schedler, Jonathan Whitall)|
Included in the price
- CAMPING in scenic Ransburg Boy Scout Camp on beautiful Lake Monroe
- ACCESS TO SHOWER & MODERN REST ROOMS (primitive restrooms at campsites)
- MEALS & SNACKS: Friday Potluck & Snacks; Saturday Brunch, Dinner, & Snacks; Sunday Breakfast
- CHILDCARE (if their parents volunteer for the shifts)
- CALLERS: Bring your favorite dances!
- MUSICIANS: Bring your instruments!
- PARENTS: Sign up for a childcare shift!
- EVERYONE: Sign up to help with meal preparation, clean up, and beach watch!
Lottery Policy – First lottery drawing is for bands with musicians who did not play before midnight on Friday and callers who did not call before midnight on Friday. The second lottery drawing is for bands with musicians who played before midnight on Friday, and callers who called before midnight on Friday.
Please bring your own:
- potluck dish to share Friday night
- swim suits & water toys
- towels, soap, shampoos, bug repellent, etc…
- dancing shoes (wooden floor)
CAMP RULES: NO ALCOHOL! NO PETS!
Please stay home if you think you may be ill or have been exposed and ask us for a refund.
IF YOU WANT TO PREREGISTER A LA CARTE (BEFORE AUG. 18TH), please fill out the regular registration form as if you are attending the full weekend and specify in the notes field which day you are attending. Do not pay when the form continues to the payment page. Instead, use the paypal button at the bottom of THIS page to pay the correct amount. It is very important that you specify in the notes field of the registration form that you are doing a la carte.
Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you there!